BY NORTH OGDEN HISTORICAL MUSEUM
During pioneer times, mail for North Ogden came to the Ogden City Post Office. North Ogden residents would pick up their mail, along with their neighbor’s mail. It was often distributed during church or public meetings. In 1864, the US Postal Service designated a North Ogden post office in the Sidney Steven’s store at 2599 N. 400 E. Henry Holmes was appointed to be the first postmaster. He picked up mail twice weekly from a railroad mail stop in Harrisville.
In the late 1800s, the postage rate for a letter was 2 cents and 1 cent for a postcard. People received letters from relatives and friends, and postcards were a popular method of keeping in touch.
In 1902, free delivery of mail came to North Ogden, with Fred W. Ellis delivering mail for about 10 years to Harrisville, West Weber, Plain City, and North Ogden. In 1911, mail was picked up and delivered RFD to North Ogden homes by horse and buggy, and, in winter, in a horse-drawn cutter sleigh.
John A. Dean erected the first post office in North Ogden, a small frame building at about 2645 N. 450 E. Rose Elvina Dean was the first postmistress, followed by Alice S. Dean. The post office was then moved to the Marshall mercantile store at 2599 N. 400 E., with William Ellis as postmaster, followed by Rose Toone.
In 1893, a daily mail delivery system for North Ogden began, with mail being handled by postmaster John W. Rex out of his store, the Rex, Dean and Campbell Company at 2564 N. 400 E. The next postmaster was Francis Dudman, who moved the post office to his general merchandise store at 434 E. 2650 N.
In 1961, the North Ogden Branch Post Office was dedicated at 2599 N. 400 E. (The same place as the first post office!) The building was originally built by Sidney Stevens and later owned by Clarence Barker and his sons. The building doubled as Barker’s Quality Dairy and also housed Ellison’s Dry Cleaning.