Community Question Corner


Resident’s Question: How does somebody change the zoning on their property?

Answer: The city council has divided up the city into several “zones” or classifications, depending on the expected type of use on the property. Most of the city falls under the residential zoning districts, with a focus of primarily providing places for people to live. Occasionally, a landowner will request that the property they live on or own be rezoned for different types of uses or for a different density of housing units. To accomplish a density or rezone, a landowner petitions the city and appears in public hearings before the planning commission; then, the city council makes the final determination on whether or not they agree to rezone the property. If the council approves, the property now adopts the new density and rules related to the new zone.

Sometimes, people find out that the zone in which they live does not allow a certain type of activity. The planning commission and council also consider text amendments to change the requirements and restrictions in certain zones. A good example of this is the recent change for backyard chickens being allowed in most residential zones. Our planning department is always happy to answer any questions you may have. Please reach out to Brandon Bell at (801) 782-7211

If you have questions about proper procedures, city code, building permits, community events, how-to’s, or other city-related questions, please send an email to

Leave a Reply