Heiner’s Insurance Center
Are you looking at replacing an appliance soon? Whether it’s a fridge, washer, dryer, oven, or something else, household appliances can be a significant investment. Before falling in love with the latest and greatest, follow these steps to make sure you find the right appliance for you.
- Know the dimensions. Before you go to the store, measure the space you have available. This is especially important if you have to fit the appliance between cabinets and through doors and hallways. Measure multiple times just to be safe!
- Know the connections. In the case of ovens and dryers, you may have gas or electric connections. For refrigerators, do you know if you have a water hookup? Before you start looking for a new appliance, you should consider what hookups you already have and if you are willing to incur the additional expense to change.
- Have a budget. Then stick to it! The newest gadgets might sound appealing, but try to develop a budget. If there are features you don’t need and won’t use, consider if they are worth the additional money.
- Make a list. Think about the features or styles you like and dislike, then rank them. It is helpful to do research online before you set out to a store. There is value in looking at any appliance in person before making a purchase to make sure it is what you are expecting and what you truly want.
- Pay attention to the details. While it might seem unimportant, there is value in closely reading the tag and product specifications. There is likely important information included, such as energy efficiency or how noisy the product is.
Setting out to buy a new appliance, whether big or small, does not have to be a complicated or stressful experience.
Following these tips will start you off on the right foot and help you avoid costly mistakes. Don’t forget to measure—we honestly can’t say that enough!